Psychosocial support for addicted people
Self-help Promotion Program is a non-residential treatment program for adults dealing with addiction (drugs, alcohol, gambling) as well as for their relatives. It is the only dry program for adults that cooperates with Greek Organization against Drugs in northern Greece.
The main purpose of the program is to utilize self-help/mutual aid practices in addressing addiction to psychoactive substances and behavioral addictions. Self – help Promotion Program is the only state proposal in Greece that utilizes the idea of self-help in addressing addiction.
The program is non-residential, there are no waiting lists and all services are free of charge.
Support Center for People with Addiction Problems
The function of Support Center for people with Addiction Problems has a central role in the psycho social support for members of Self-help Promotion Program. Basic features of the center is its easy access and its extended working hours. In addition, one discrete feature of the center is that the members have an active participation in its operation and management.
Main purposes of the Support Center are:
- To raise awareness in self-help/mutual aid philosophy
- To support members from self-help groups
- To provide a safe environment for people in early stages of recovery
- To motivate and empower people with addiction problems in order to initiate and/or continue their recovery
- To interconnect the members of the program with old members of self-help groups
- To motivate newcomers of Self-help Program to participate in activities of the program
- To support recovered people who are abstinent for a significant period of time in their life issues that may arise
Abstinence is the only criterion for participation in Support Center in which they are developed various psycosocial activities, some of them are the following:
- Support groups
- Face to face sessions
- Cultural, social, ecological activities
- Seminars (educational and vocational support)
- Awareness in self – help/mutual aid philosophy
- Psychosocial support for people with problems apart from addiction